Tuesday, August 24, 2010

CNN's Irresponsible 'Ex-Gay' Interview Regarding Prop 8

CNN's Belief Blog interviewed Alan Chambers President of Exodus International, a nonprofit "ex-gay" ministry on the recent prop 8 ruling. Chambers is a self identified "ex-gay" who admits he still struggles with homosexual attractions.

In the article Chambers is quoted as saying that “It’s disappointing that a judge would rule against the will of the people” but he also maintains that the decision shows more openness to people who are LGBT "We’re entering a time when we are more compassionate and loving toward people who deserve our compassion,” he says, “and that’s gay and lesbian people.”

CNN is completely irresponsible for running this piece for a host of reasons.

1. Exodus International is a fringe anti-gay organization that has been repudiated by all major scientific and psychological organizations.

2. If Chambers and Exodus indeed represent people who claim they are no longer gay, why is CNN collecting their thoughts on same-sex marriage? They can get married to the opposite sex and the issue is not relevant to them.

3. CNN gave free advertising to this sham organization and did nothing to set the facts straight on the proposition 8 ruling or the truth behind the "ex-gay" movement.
Contact CNN via their general feedback form or Twitter to let them know that this biased reporting is unacceptable! Feel free to also leave comments on their blog posting.

18 comments:

elaygee said...

It was like seeing a Neo Nazi spokesman talk about the "Blacks and Jews problem".

Unknown said...

Hold on there Ba-ba Louie, CNN also interviewed many on the LGBT side. If you want one sided reporting Fox is the place for you. I don't want to see biased news sources at all. It is OK for CNN to inverview the pro-discrimination side, it shows us that these people are out there.
Let us not become the enemy.

Anonymous said...

As an ex-ex-gay I can only feel sorry for ex-gays and the women they might be using to reinforce their denial. Long before any of this was an issue I married to cure my homosexuality. Foolishly thinking that my sexuality rested between my legs. If I could get it up and in I was cured, NOT! Truth, for me heterosexuality was just another form of masturbation. Both had the same lack of emotional involvement. I could lust after my wife, but I could not physically lover her. Truth, I used her. Good can come out of evil. We had a daughter who is a good and loving person, so it was not a total waste.

Queers United said...

CNN did interview pro-equality advocates in response to prop 8. I am not suggesting they shouldn't interview people on the right of the issue but "ex-gays?" really? That is like asking CNN for the unicorn perspective on gay marriage. Unicorns don't exist and neither do so called "ex-gays"

SteveDenver said...

He works against human will, why not the judge?

mmennonno said...

I agree with the post. This is not an incident of "two sides to a story". Presenting representatives of a debunked anti-gay group legitimizes them. They are not "the other side" of the Prop 8 story. They're a fringe group that doesn't make the grade as far as meriting air time.

QueerjohnPA said...

Missed you!

Andy Godfrey said...

Apologies to go off-topic, but the contact form isn't working. I wanted to contact the blog contributors about a UK-based marriage equality campaign and ask if they would be interested in supporting the campaign and signing an open letter to Stonewall, the UK's largest LGB rights organisation.

libhom said...

I wonder if the CNN piece mentioned the fact that the founders of Exodus fell in love, left the ministry, and had a same sex commitment ceremony.

Unknown said...

I wish I could say I was surprised CNN took this angle. I wish more were outraged at it... or at least awake and displeased.

Heather said...

The hard part about giving both sides a voice.. is that sometimes one voice may be a little nutty.

Merlyn said...

Interviewing so-called "ex-gays" only serves to legitimize the lie that GLBT people can (or should) "change". If they want "the other side" there are plenty of homophobes around to talk to.

The Anon proxy said...

I dont really understand the term X-gay.A orientation isn't a light switch you cant just turn it on and off at will.At most you can say im attracted to you but im not going to have sex with.Stupidest man ever

Fleshlight said...

I'm actually really worried about how things are going in America. The far-right are getting so much air time it's very scary.

You really need a national movement to reverse this trend.

Amy K. said...

I miss the posts here on Queers United. I hope all is okay with you (whoever is running this), and I would love to see QU return!

Diane J Standiford said...

You ok? I miss ya.

LGBT Centre Mongolia said...

Hey QU! Is everything alright? Safe-n-sound?! No posts since August........

Queers United said...

Hello friends it has been a while and I have been super busy but hope to resume in some capacity.

Post a Comment